In my continuing quest to become an astronaut, I wanted to figure out what the "typical" astronaut's background is like, so I mined the NASA astronaut bios for information. I was interested in the educational, military, selection age, and spaceflight histories of the astronauts, so I focused on that information. I think the plots below speak for themselves, but if you'd like the raw data or have questions, please feel free to ask. Note that I only compiled information on NASA's 126 active and management astronauts. I didn't include the Payload Specialists, former, or international astronauts, although I might go back later and add them to the analysis. I learned that only 36% of astronauts have earned doctorate degrees, but most of the astronauts selected with only a masters or bachelors had extensive NASA and/or military experience. The typical astronaut has one bachelors and one masters degree, although some do have more than one of either type of de
And BTW, are there other resources out there? I checked the astronaut hopeful facebook page and it seemed fairly slow, I am just now looking into astronauts4hire
1) when will the next applicant cycle be after this one?
2) what physical requirements exist outside of the height and vision reqs? (Ie what conditioning or PT is req)
3) if you have zero Russian language ability, how big a knock is it?
1) I have no idea when the next application cycle will be. If recent history is any guide, it will be in four years, so my best guess is 2019-20. Of course, it all depends on the supply and demand for astronauts.
2) I don't know all of the medical and anthropomorphic requirements. As far as I know, there aren't any specific PT requirements. I do know that certain surgeries are disqualifying, though. You could call the astronaut selection office at NASA and ask. Still, I suggest applying anyway. What do you have to lose?
3) Most ASCANs don't know Russian. Sure, knowing it would give you an advantage, but what matters more is that you demonstrate the ability to learn new things so that if you are chosen you can learn Russian.